Price $20.00 (including shipping & handling)
Les Crosby started his musical career at the tender age of eight in Gisborne, New Zealand where he joined the local brass band & played Cornet & Flugel Horn. At fifteen he had his own dance band & at age sixteen joined the New Zealand Broadcasting Service in Wellington, performing with a number of Wellington Jazz groups before departing for England at age eighteen.
Les spent three years in the U.K. playing with Big Bands & small Jazz Combos, including a stint with a show band in Eire & a Jazz group in Lyon, France. He returned to New Zealand at the age of twenty-one & after a short period migrated to Brisbane, Australia where he became a regular guest at the Theatre Royal with George Wallace Jnr followed by a contract with Brisbane’s TV Channel 7.
In 1962 Les joined Brisbane’s famous Varsity Five + Two Band. This band had a great following in Brisbane in the 1960’s & featured at a number of festival hall concerts as a backup band for artists such as Louis Armstrong & The Dutch Swing College Band. The Varsity Five + Two Band has the distinction of performing with the King of Thailand (himself a fine Jazz musician) during a state visit to Australia in 1962. Whilst at TV Channel 7, Les was a member of various concert parties to Vietnam in 1967,1968, & 1970, entertaining both American & Anzac forces. He played with the Radio 4BH Show Band before moving to Sydney in 1975 & during this time featured on Brian Henderson’s Bandstand.
During the 70’s & early 80’s, Les played the Sydney Club Circuit & performed with many of Sydney’s leading Jazz musicians of that era, including Gragham Bell, Ray Price, George Golla, Ed Wilson, Ed Gaston, Julian Lee & The Abbey Jazz Band. He has also performed in the U.S.A., Hong Kong & Europe as a guest artist with a number of Jazz groups. This album displays Les’ versatility on Cornet, Trumpet, Flugel Horn & vocals.
LIST OF SONGS
- AUTUMN LEAVES 4:06 (Kosma Prevert-Mercer) Julian Lee Trio
- CRY ME A RIVER 3:02 (Arthur Hamilton) George Golla Trio
- TENDERLY 2:54 (Walter Gross/Jack Lawrence) George Golla Trio
- ST JAMES INFIRMARY BLUES 4:57 (Primose) Hacienda Jazz Band
- MAME (Herman) 3:39 Hacienda Jazz Hand
- SUMMERTIME 5:26 (George Gershwin) Julian Lee Trio
- SWEET GEORGIA BROWN 3:51 (Maced/Pinkard) Alan Mulley’s Blues Revue
- BYE BYE BLACKBIRD 4:34 (Dixon/Henderson) Julian Lee Trio
- I’VE FOUND A NEW BABY 4:35 (Jack Palmer/Spencer Williams) Hacienda Jazz Hand
- HERE COMES THAT RAINY DAY 3:15 (Jimmy Van Huessen/Johnny Burke) George Golla Trio
- SWEET EMMA (Nat Adderley) 4:05 Julian Lee Trio with guest Phil Pryor on Tenor Sax
- OUR LOVE IS HERE TO STAY 2:21 (George/Ira Gershwin) Julian Lee Trio with guest vocalist Kerrie Biddell
- PUTTIN’ ON THE RITZ 3:24 (Irving Berlin) The Abbey Jazz Band
- ONE FOR MY BABY 3:34 (Duke Ellington) Julian Lee Trio
- TIME AFTER TIME 3:14 (Kahn/Stein) Julian Lee Trio
- WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD 3:55 (George Weiss/Bob Thiele) Julian Lee Trio
©Les Crosby, 2000. Produced by NS Media Australia, Tel: (612) 9787 9900.
All rights of the owner of this recorded work reserved. Unauthorised public performance, broadcasting, leasing and copying of this record prohibited.