Price $20.00 (including shipping & handling)
In 1995 The Abby Jazz Band consists of six highly-talented musicians:
LES CROSBY – Cornet and Vocals
Les has performed all over the world in orchestras, dance bands and jazz groups and played in the Varsity Five Plus Two jazz group in Brisbane in the 1960’s, before moving to Sydney.
ED WILSON – Trombone
Well Known as the “other half” of the great “Daly Wilson Big Band” Ed is one of Australia’s finest musicians and is also a prolific writer and arranger.
PHIL PRYOR – Clarinet, Soprano, Tenor, Baritone, Saxophones & Vocalist
Also one of Australia’s finest jazz musicians. Phil has performed with many leading jazz groups.
DENNIS TONGE – Banjo, Guitar and Vocals
Originally from Lancashire, England, Dennis has been a resident of Sydney for the last thirty years or so and has played in many of Sydney’s leading jazz groups.
ALEX WATSON – Acoustic Bass and Vocals
Alex is the leader of The Abby Jazz Band and is the only remaining founding member. Loves jazz and earns a living as a Bio-medical Engineer.
ALAN JONES – Drums
Another fine musician, originally from England. Played in leading English “Big Bands” and Combos. Now resident of Sydney.
One of the most popular groups in Sydney, The Abbey Jazz Band dates back to the early 1970’s and was originally made up of staff members from the Prince Henry, and Prince of Wales Hospitals, Sydney. The personnel has changed over the years, but the “fun” music style of the group has continued, specialising in jazz tunes from the 1920’s to the 1960’s, along similar lines to The Temperance Seven Orchestra. However, the collective musicianship allows The Abbey Jazz Band to perform any jazz style.
LIST OF SONGS
- LIMEHOUSE BLUES (2:46), Phillip Braham
- I LOVE PARIS (2:38), Cole Porter/Chappell Vocals – Les Crosby
- CHINATOWN (3:10), Jerome Schwarz Vocals – Dennis Tonge
- ME & JANE IN A PLANE (4:03), Leslie Gilbert/Control, Vocals – Alex Watson
- ST THOMAS (2:57), Sonny Rollins
- CARRY ME BACK TO OLD VIRGINNY (3:06), James Bland, Vocals – Dennis Tonge
- PUTTIN’ ON THE RITZ (3:20), Irving Berlin, Vocals – Les Crosby
- OLD ROCKING CHAIR (3:08), Hogy Carmichael, Vocals – Dennis Tonge
- NAGASAKI (2:58), Warren Dixon/Allen, Vocals – Phil Pryor
- MIDNIGHT IN MOSCOW (3:25), Matsuo/Soloviev
- BUONA SERA (3:28), Carl Sigmund/Peter De Rose, Vocals – Dennis Tonge
- SO DO I (Bel Ami) (3:01), Mackeben/Beckmann/Grant, Vocals – Phil Pryor
- POKARIKARI ANA (2:31), Maori Traditional, Vocals – Les Crosby
- BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC (4:06), Traditional, Vocals – Dennis Tonge
- MISSISSIPPI MUD (3:33), Barris/Albert, Vocals – Les Crosby/Phil Pryor
- AUSTRALIAN MEDLEY (5:23), Banjo Patterson/Jack O’Hagen, R Harris/Traditional, Vocals – Les Crosby, Phil Pryor/Dennis Tonge
Recorded at: Axent Studios, Sydney, Australia – June 1995
Produced by: North Supply Communications Pty Ltd PO Box 576, Willoughby NSW 2068, Australia